Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Wow, another Thanksgiving has come and gone.

My mom's sisters, Joy and Lee, come every year for Thanksgiving with their families to our house.  It's great.  When the three of them get together even the most serious person can't help but to laugh.  I can only hope to be as quick and sarcastic one day.  We have the Thanksgiving Day meal down to a science.  Mom, Dad, and Aunt Joy make the food, and I.E. (Lee) does the dishes with her husband Trent (if he comes) and all the kids.  I.E. has also taken on Gramma Kay's tradition of making a craft with all the kids.  This year we made coasters for our teachers' Christmas presents.  It took several trips to Wal-Mart, but we finished them and they look great!  I love making presents that I know people will keep and use for years to come.  I mean really, how many teachers do you know that don't have a fountain drink or coffee of some type with them in their classroom at all times?  The presents that my dad still has from students are the original ones, ones that stand out and that he uses every year.  We put up so many ornaments from his former students every year on our tree.  Anyways, we all had a great time making them and spending time together.  We don't get to see that side of the family very often, only at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and sometimes in the summer, because they live in Kentucky.  I really wish we could all just move our homes and communities closer together.  We all want to live closer, but we're all tied down and love where we live, so we just make the best out of it when we do see each other.  I'm so thankful for the time we get to spend together and the loving family we have.  It's never awkward between any of us and even though we don't see each other regularly, you'd never know by the way we interact.  I love it.

This is the 3rd Thanksgiving we've had without my Gramma Kay.  She passed away 3 Novembers ago from Pancreatic cancer.  She was diagnosed in September, came home from Chile (she was a missionary) in October, and passed away the day after Thanksgiving my 8th grade year.  It was so hard to lose her so quickly.  We really didn't get to say goodbye.  I miss her so much and I know the rest of my family does too.  I really wish I could talk to her and tell her all about my life.  I know she's watching from Heaven, but I still wish she could be here to see my choir shows, cross country meets, and high school graduation.  It's not going to be the same without her.  She was always filled with so much joy.  Gramma Kay was one of the most loving and happy people I knew.  She loved Jesus with her whole heart and it showed through all her actions.  I wish I could have realized that when she was still living.  I was naive and didn't see that.  It's so evident now that I'm older though.  Gramma Kay was loved by all who met her and she touched MANY lives.  When she was in her 60s she decided that God was calling her to serve as a missionary in Chile, and after staying in the states longer than expected to be with my Aunt Joy through her second round of chemo for breast cancer (she's a two time survivor), she did it.  I'm so proud of my Gramma.  She serves as such a positive example for my siblings and me.  I miss her and I love her, but I know she's in Heaven having the time of her life and I can't wait to join her.  It'll be such a joyful reunion!

I am also incredibly thankful for my immediate family: my parents, Amy and Bill; my brother, Sean; and my sisters, Maddie and Jordie.  For a family of four kids, we actually get along really well.  Not saying that we don't fight or have our differences, but for the most part, we enjoy being with each other.  Sean and I have gotten a lot closer now that he's in high school.  I love my little brother so much.  He's kind hearted and just wants to do the right thing.  I don't think he knows exactly who he is, but what 14 year old does?  I know I didn't.  I'm just so proud to see the way he cares for his friends and loves others.  He is a great kid and I can't wait to see him grow up even more.  I pray that he comes to want to know the Lord more.  He knows all the stories and knows exactly what he's supposed to do, but still doesn't realize that it's about having a relationship with God, living out his will every day.  I pray that Sean longs to have that relationship.  Maddie is such a ball of energy.  She's in 6th grade this year and is tackling middle school head on.  She just wants to be loved by everyone, much like I did at that age.  I see a lot of myself in Maddie, although I had a much different middle school experience being the "new kid" in 6th grade.  She can be hard to deal with at times, but I still love her.  I can always count on Maddie for a smile and a hug on a bad day.  She has such a big heart that she shares especially with her little sister and best friend, Jordie.  Those two are two peas in a pod.  They do everything together.  They are four years apart, but you would never know it.  Jordie looks up to Maddie so much, but still is learning to do her own thing.  I pray that they two of them look out for each other and that they love each other no matter what, because as people reach their teenage years, things tend to change, but a sisters love will remain the same.

My parents are two of the most amazing people I know.  I look up to them so much.  They follow the Lord with their lives and serve as a strong example of Christ followers to all us kids.  I don't know what I would do without them.  My parents, even though we do fight occasionally, understand me well.  My dad and I are so very similar that when we do disagree on something, my inherited hard headedness (from him) gets in the way.  Thank goodness for mediator Mom.  She always sees both sides and is able to help solve whatever issue.  She's the best.  My mom is quiet, but notices everything.  If I come home from school after having a bad day, she's the first one to spot it.  When I was little and was having serious trouble getting to sleep at night, Mom would stay up with me, sometimes even after midnight.  My parents have taught me to be responsible and trustworthy and have given me a lot of freedom due to my actions.  They support me in any of my decisions, but have taught me that if I commit to something, I must stick with it.  That's huge, and I'm so thankful for them.  They love me no matter what and will be behind me 100% in whatever I decide to do.  They have made a home that I love to be in and in which feel safe and loved.  I can't wait to come home to this house once I'm in college.  Is it weird that I'm already excited about that? haha.  I just love my family.  We're a little unit that I'm so incredibly thankful for.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my post.  I hope you all have a great night and that everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

YOU are beautifully and wonderfully made.

Love,
Ky

No comments:

Post a Comment